Persian Sour Cherry Rice with Meatballs (Albaloo Polow)
Persian Sour Cherry Rice with Meatballs
A sour and wonderfully delicious Iranian dish, There are a couple of different ways to make Albaloo Polow with different level of sweetness. If you have access to sour cherries, you have to try this dish. It’s really easy. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 300g sour cherries, pitted
- 200g sugar
- 250g Minced lamb or beef
- 1 Onion, grated
- Saffron water
- 2 tbs Butter, melted
- 1tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the washed and drained rice. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the rice is almost cooked but retains a little bite. Drain and set aside.
- Put the meat and grated onion in a bowl with thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well and roll into little balls. Fry them in the oil over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan to brown all over.
- Place the pitted sour cherries in a pot, add the sugar on top let it sit for 1-2 hours. Give it a gentle stir and simmer on medium for 15 minutes. if you rather sweeter dish then add 300g of sugar.
- Let’s prepare the rice: Make sure that the bottom of your pan is covered with a thin layer of water, oil and 2tsp saffron water. Pour some rice on top.
- Then place half of the sour cherries on top. Give it a gentle stir to mix the sour cherries with the rice. then add some meatballs. Repeat with the rest of the rice, sour cherries and meatballs.
- Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes. add 2 tbsp of butter, the remaining saffron, Pour over the rice. Cook for 45minutes on medium low.