Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stroganov (Russian: бефстроганов befstróganov) is a Russian dish of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with smetana (sour cream). From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, it has become popular around the world, with considerable variation from the original recipe. The name derived from a french-born russian aristocrat, Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov whose cook, André Dupont, decided to name the recipe of his beef fricassee after the name of his employer. However several other versions exist as to how the recipe was invented.
- 400 g beef,cut into thin strips
- ½ Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tbs Butter
- 1+1/2 cups Beef broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 250 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup corn, optional
- 3tbs Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Pasta, cooked
- Cook the pasta according to the directions given on the package.
- In a frying pan, saute onion and garlic until become soft then add meat and cook thoroughly and it should be browned. then add chopped mushrooms in it.
- Remove the meat mixture from the pan.
- To the same pan, add the butter, flour and stir.
- Pour in the beef broth and whisk hard so that no lumps are formed in the pan.
- Keep the heat to high and let it boil for 3 minutes. then add the beef mixture back in
- Turn the heat to medium and add the cream.
- Give the mixture a good stir.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and taste it to make adjustments accordingly.
- Serve it hot on a plate of pasta.